Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beans to Bald: revised




Monday nights are alright for shaving.
After a beautiful day yesterday of getting back into classes and entering school post-relaxing weekend, dinner kicked off a most interesting sequence of events. Went to dinner with the girls- always a riotous and adventurous choice. And somehow the topic of shaving heads came up…naturally. Now I have been considering shaving my head since Mona did this summer. And I figured what better way to support her than join her in Paris this August ALSO sporting a buzz with big hats and stylish scarves. I was debating when to do it- thinking sometime before rural homestay when Becky on the other side of me looks over and says "I'll do it if you do it." So we shook hands over our rice & beans dinner and off we danced to the dorm to grab scissors.
Every USP girl on campus last night took turns in taking pictures and snipping chunks of our hair with scissors. Becky and I sat side by side with towels around our shoulders, smiles on our faces, and Paramore blasting into our ears.
There is no bonding experience quite like putting a bunch of girls in a room and subjecting two of them to scissors.
The whole event was masterfully completed with Matt showing up with his razor to buzz the rest of our hair off…and carve a few crazy designs in the process. We swept up all the hair and Becky and I had a blast running up and down the hallway just to feel the wind on our scalps (pretty much the best feeling ever).
Waking up this morning I am happy to say that I wasn't filled with regret, but I was cold. Anyone looking for care-package ideas should send a beanie…cuz now I'm freezin' if the sun isn't out! One of the best parts was going to breakfast with a hooded sweatshirt and pushing the hood off casually and just watching the double take of some of the Florence Hall comrades as they didn't realize until they were mid-tea that my hair was g o n e.
I'm glad that over the past couple months I have grown accustomed to everyone staring at me for being white because now I'm not self conscious at ALL about people staring at me. Also there are not enough mirrors around here for me to have a chance to regret this decision :)

Benefits to having a shaved head:
Big earrings look seven times cooler :)
I don't need a million bobby pins
Washing my hair takes 2 seconds
Shirts don’t get caught with my hair when I change
I feel like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta all the time

Sad parts of having a shaved head:
Can't keep my glasses stuck in my hair
Can't keep pens stuck in my hair
…basically I just used my hair as an extra place to keep things…

Ah well. Here's to a new style, the second half of the semester, and communal activities :)
Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. Alli, my dear, you look GORGEOUS!
    I am so proud of you...how liberating and courageous.

    I love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey -- where is dad's comment? My comment?
    Not FAIR!!

    Love you anyway.
    Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT?! Have I been censored? I must say that I love the breeze blowing across my scalp too. I appreciate a good 2 second head-washing. As for the earrings - i don't do well with the big ones. So, put on a hat and get ready for those cold N.E. winters in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mom is concerned your scalp will get sunburned...she told me to tell you to wear sunscreen.

    i love you.

    my mom loves your head.

    that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one bald woman to another....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

    Hopefully you won't ever have to deal with a beer gut. You look stunning with your new hair style. Love you and I enjoy your entries.

    Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete