Thursday, October 7, 2010

feminism in East Africa

Whoever thought that I would ever be discussing feminism or body image issues from a cross cultural perspective in Uganda?
Tonight after dinner, Esther and I found ourselves stumbling into a conversation with a few of our male Ugandan friends from Honours College that ranged in topic from female circumcision to Arab country legal perspectives on genital mutilation to breast implants and what exactly is the best approach to sex education. I blame the Reverend whom teaches my African Traditional Religions course. This is all his fault.
This coming weekend USP students have the "opportunity" to go up-country and witness the circumcision ceremony of the Gisu tribe. No thank you. I won't be attending. That was the topic of dinner conversation which transpired over into casual chit chat leading back to the dorms with Esther. A few of the HC guys told us they made a presentation video last year in which they demonstrated what a circumcision ceremony generally looked like (emphasis on the dance). So we went back and watched this hysterical video in which certain actions were mimed and laughed at and then the conversation erupted like so many volcanoes all choosing to explode at the swelling of a symphonic moment- like they had been waiting and were all cued at this precise, epic moment to make themselves seen.
I never thought I would find myself sitting in the heart of East Africa discussing feminist viewpoints on body image portrayal in the media- though it was my academic focus for a concentrated semester in college. Nor did I ever think that sociological theories of cultural norms and legalities would ever be sound ground for a cross cultural debate as to whether or not is in fact ethical to encourage protection rather than (just) abstinence from a Christian point of authority. And I'm quite certain the many people that innocently stumbled into the common room of Florence Hall tonight never imagined as they ate their rice and beans tonight that they would walk into the middle of a conversation about breast implants after their supper. (my apologies)
In any case: I wish my English teachers who taught me to debate throughout the years with a level head, open mind, ready ears and thoughtful tongue to know that you trained me well. And to my many sociology professors and advisors- I wish them to know that I am in love with sociology all the more for coming here, as I truly see all that I'm learning back home playing out in real life even across the ocean. This is what it's all about. This is the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment