Tuesday, November 9, 2010

panty perspective

Hazards of doing laundry outdoors:
Bird might fly into the tree above you and crap into your bucket of just-soaped clothing.
Just saying. It can happen.

On another laundry note- I had a striking realization while doing my laundry the other day regarding wealth in the West vs here in Africa. As I was washing my underwear, the Ugandan girl Brendah across the hall made an obervation: "Oh, Victoria's Secret…rich lady!"
I have never thought of my old VS panties that I got on clearance as a sign of wealth. They're not a scandalous style that most girls my age don, they were definitely on sale, and they're a plain colour. I have definitely never thought of myself as someone with money when I wear them. It was incredible to realize that a brand name from the West can carry so much implication as to my social status here in a "developing country". Even the things I can only afford or justify paying for if they're on clearance or from a thrift store speak volumes of the wealth of our country in the context of living in Uganda where I can buy a pair of panties at the supermarket for the equivalent of about 30 cents ((and they're lacey and cuter than any other pair I own)).


My darling roommate sent me an incredible package today :) Justin Beiber silly bands, curiously strong Altoid mints, and CHOCOLATE :) Love you, Shmeidi.

This past weekend I was introduced to the guys Bemba hostel- down the hill and through the jungle of banana trees growing outside of campus. My friend Mark took me there for a truly "cultural experience" of a rooftop party and told me as we approached the steps of the building, "Oh, by the way- you're about to be seriously out-gendered…" Story of my life. It was an incredible chill time of kicking back on brick-pile-seats, listening to crunk music the likes of which would have made my sister proud, looking at the African night sky so bright with stars silhouette the monkey trees all around the hostel. Gorgeous.

Saturday I went to the local hotel with a couple girls to go swimming and do homework by the pool. At the mention of Thanksgiving I was nearly sick as I realized that it is in fact November and I spent the day lying around in a swimsuit and shades sippin' cold drinks by an unheated pool that was definitely warmer than the showers I take everyday. I am SO looking forward to whatever blustery weather Sweden is having when I get there in January, and to return to the snow banks I know will be piled in my driveway upon my return home. I fully intend to be a small child with my snowy antics when I get home: snow forts, snow angels, catching snowflakes on my tongue… these are the things I dream of here in the mid-afternoon heat as I sit sweating and sipping my tea (even African heat does not dissuade true Ugandans from the all holy Tea Time).

Yesterday I went running up Monkey Hill and nearly slipped all the way down a massive stretch of red dirt and stones as I skidded through some mud from the afternoon rain in borrowed shoes a size too big for me. I was only grateful no one was watching the clumsy Mzungu. However, all hopes of going through my running routine unnoticed were shot straight to hell when I agreed to go meet Esther at the track to finish up laps with her after my own run. I got to the track and there were 2 soccer games going on in the center as we, the only white girls to be seen at all within the vicinity of the field, breezed our way around the track. With every lap around by the stone bleachers some odd-ball called out "go Mzungu!" as we passed… great. Just great. Anyone who tells me again that their excuse for not going to the gym back home is that they're uncomfortable being stared at should spend an afternoon trying to go unnoticed at the gym or track here. You'll be the only white, almost always the only girl, and definitely the most uncoordinated person present. No exceptions. The trick is to just embrace your minority status, crack a few jokes with the guys- show 'em you mean business, and just make yourself a kind of novelty to have around. If they're going to notice you, you may as well own it. :)

3 comments:

  1. beautiful post. ummm i'll trade you ANY day your poolside, tea sippin afternoons for the blustery winds and flurries here in the mountains. ugh.
    oh and fyi; i am VERY proud of your crunk rooftop experience :)

    screw paris. let's do africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p to the s--totes jealous of the jbiebs silly bands ;)

    ReplyDelete