Friday, August 27, 2010

communication!


Got the full African experience today after lunch (no Mom, I didn't get hit by a boda-boda).
After classic lunch of rice and beans (which I LOVE- this place is a vegetarian's dream!) I got the full guided tour of campus by Lazarous - picture below- and then he even took me and another USP girl Becky down the hill into Mukono town to find the post office (finally!) and some other cool shops he knew about that we absolutely could not find on our search yesterday. And he even kept us from getting run over in Mukono traffic- no easy feat. People here are not phased one bit if you get within 5 inches of their vehicle- be it dump truck, car, or boda boda. They don't slow down, and you better book it. Everyone and no one has the right of way (sounds like Boston traffic).
On the way back to campus, Becky and I passed the library window and both caught ourselves looking in the windows as we passed and realized we have no mirrors anywhere on campus. It's so relaxing though to roll out of my creaky metal bunk bed in the morning, wrestle with the mosquito netting, and throw my hair back, clothes on, and just leave the room. I'm so much more relaxed throughout the day when I have no clue what I look like. And, oddly enough, I find my confidence is so much greater- especially in interacting with strangers here (which is often). I laugh easier, I talk more freely, and embrace everyone without a thought about what's on my face, what my hair is doing, nothing- and apparently there's nothing too drastic happening because people seem very friendly and not to be staring at anything in my teeth when I'm talking with them. :)
After town Becky and I went to play volleyball with the Ugandan team- which ended up being really late to their practice, so we played 2 on 2 with Edwin & Jeff- - two very intense, very hilarious, very patient Ugandan men who cut us NO slack. Ha ha
Also met a beautiful little boy called Rollins tonight. Before dinner as I was waiting for Lazarous to finish up with basketball to head over to dinner- I was sitting on the stone bleachers looking through pictures I've been taking here and this kid from one of the courts below came bounding up the stone steps to my side, a huge smile on his face. He sat right next to me wanting to see my camera and look through the pictures I had so I let him take a few pictures and he was in all in his glory :) He got a huge kick out of the zoom button on my dear ol' Kodak.
Time is flying here. The common room at night has become skip-bo & dutch blitz tournament zone as well as technology central as we get wireless up here more often than anywhere else. Playing a card game tonight we were talking about some conversations we'd had today and realized they only happened today, when it feels like things have happened weeks ago. Lunch today with Lazarous, Michael & Alan- new Ugandan friends- jumped all over from comparing the pros and cons (I almost made a Gilmore-style list Hannah & Lacey & Lynnsay!) of living on and off campus at college, to African politics surrounding the upcoming elections and about the LRA's movement, to American dress and the reasoning behind the naming of African children in families here. It's so enriching to be able to sit after a meal and just engage in these kinds of conversations that last for hours with the other Ugandan students here. In general they are so receptive to learning about the cultural differences between here and America and genuinely want to get to know us (USP students). One Ugandan student here is majoring in political studies and international affairs and is forever encouraging us to communicate! Communicate! Communicate! With people back home to tell America that Africa is not just a place of suffering and hurt- Africa is a beautiful, thriving, alive continent. He is constantly pointing out that America's perception of this country especially, and Africa in general, is based solely on what other people say so it is our duty to communicate the truths and the beauty of this place to our family and friends back home. So this is for Alex- this is my communication.

6 comments:

  1. Love the communication!! I'm happy you were not hit by a boda-boda and that you had a friend to guide you through Mukono traffic and markets. Only one question: how BIG is that little lizard in the picture? Just wondering. I bet Jazz would love to chase that around. I find myself racing (well not really racing) home after work to check your blog -- and then I find myself reading and re=reading your entries. I love to read your entries -- who taught you to write anyways? Hannah was pshched to skype with you last night! And glad that you're back on fb. Have a busy day here -- gotta get movin. Praying for you often, and keep waiting for you to come bounding in the door from "the farm", "camp" or "SOMEWHERE". Love you lots, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also love your writing Alli. You absolutely have a gift for it...along with photography, music, .....the list goes on and on. Can't have you getting a big head..you are too far away from home! Glad you are back on FB, as your pictures are easier to see on there, and I love looking at them. The detail and beauty of the pictures is not as easy for me to see here on the blog as on FB. Hope you are doing well on your long bus trip today...picture you with your legs out the window!
    The pix of your laundry room and dorm were really amazing. Can't wait to show our sons how you are spending this semester. There was an article in Michael's Purdue magazine that just came yesterday about Kenya, and I will send it on to you in a care package.
    Wrap your arms around yourself and give yourself a big hug from all of the Holsapples...the two legged ones and the four legged ones. Love, M&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful,
    i miss you.
    but i'm so pumped to hear that you're having an incredible experience.
    i got a voicemail from you this morning. it said to call you before 6.30
    i suppose it's from the past.
    silly verizon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like NOT being able to talk to you / hear from you / read about you! So much is happening that you aren't a part of. Hannah is now residing at Colby-Sawyer College, Abbey Hall, Room 306. She even let me help her with her bedding and set some things up for her (unlike you on move-in day at Gordon)!! She's pretty excited. I have a new JOB!! I will start on Sept. 20 - I am replacing Jane Maynard! It's a beautiful place, about an hour from here - more $$, more hours, and I won't have to change diapers / potty train anyone, etc... Loving you - missing you -- waiting to hear from you. I'm SO excited to hear from you and read about your adventures. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Ali......I cannot imagine you are in Africa....it seems like yesterday I was standing in a parking lot near Hampden Academy while you and Lynns introduced yourselves and became fast friends!!!! I am so very thrilled for you and in awe of what an incredible experience you must be having. You and Lynns have both come such a long way from HA to become such accomplished women!!! Ok enough Mom like stuff........Please know you are in my prayers which are as big as Africa!!! Be safe and may GOD bless this time for you and for everyone you meet!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww JANE!!!! thanks :) i miss you terribly. how are you doing? i hear my mom is moving over to your former workplace- so what's new for you these days then? thanks for the motherly encouragement. love you lots, your alli-girl

    ReplyDelete