Friday, August 27, 2010

Operation: Expectation Destruction





I finally took off my spoon ring today that I usually wear on my ring finger. It was getting to be too long of a pointless, confusing conversation had with all Ugandan men around here as to why I wore a ring if I was unmarried- it was seriously confusing them since men here as a general rule do not even converse with married women beyond "Wasuze otyanno, nnyabo" (good morning, madam) or "Osiibye otyanno, nnyabo?" (good afternoon/good evening madam). So now I'm sporting the even more hilarious tan line from my ring, but the conversation flows much easier now- and one, Michael, calls me "free agent" now to mock me.
Today was the first laundry day for all of us USP ladies, since we FINALLY got into town yesterday to actually buy laundry detergent. It's slimy feeling and leaves a cool, shimmery effect on your clothes when you hang them out to dry (yes mom, I even hung my underwear out here- you thought it was bad enough I did it at home!) in the sun. So our tiny washroom is littered with basins (aka baths) of dirty laundry hand swirled in powdered laundry detergent, soaking until we convince ourselves it's clean enough to rinse & dry. It's a long stretch from my faulty spin-cycle washing machine and ink spotted dryer at home. But my arms are getting a workout with all the scrubbing and wringing and swirling. I AM the spin cycle. Spin cycle…free agent… I wonder which nickname will stick. Any votes?
We were talking about expectations in Day 2 of our Orientation here-- and it was interesting as we were all talking about how we really expected to be able to get away with wearing the same clothes repeatedly, not needing to shower all the time- because hey! We're in Africa!
Big fat dumb muzungo lie.
Ugandans are very attentive to detail and prideful of their appearance. At least on the campus. It's typical for a Ugandan to shower two or three times a day, iron all their clothes, very meticulously dress themselves. So it's nice to keep up with them and not feel excessive for wanting to bathe every day. although for us, our shower is still completely out of commission and we are still reverting back to toddler practice of washing our hair in the sink and sponge-bathing with basins in our prison-cell size cement shower (which the geckos find very nice to hang out in at night). Some of the girls here are completely distraught over this- but others of us have been through worse. There are girls here who grew up in Morocco, Thailand, have been to Venezuela for a summer… and I have built showers out of sheep stalls in a Navajo desert (Dr. Zapps I thought you'd appreciate my referring back to that LOVELY experience!). So this - compared to lean-mud pits for showers and compared to the various places I've lived in around the China Lake campus- is livin' large :)
We head to Rwanda tomorrow about 5am (10pm your time) on a 13-15 hour bus drive plus God only knows how much time they'll hold us at the border. Be praying for safe travel, no car sickness, and that we're all somehow able to emotionally survive the next few days visiting memorials and hearing first hand accounts from the '94 genocide.
Lots of Ugandan love

alli

3 comments:

  1. Muzungo! That's my vote. Maybe spotless-muzungo. Sounds like a fun day. As for the writing content - the mention of CLCamp, the Navajo trip, washer/dryer, etc. A+

    Praying for your Rwanda trip. I'm sure there's no way to prepare for that, or even a debrief session that will help you completely deal with it. God's grace will be with you - our prayers will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...the tan lines! If they could see that lilly white tummy...and those tan lines! lol

    At 5am when we read your blog, you brought a big smile to Dr. Zapps face! Funny how we were just talking about that a week ago.

    Seems like you have been gone from here forever...hard to believe a week ago I had you all to myself!

    Do you want me to send you liquid laundry detergent, or would you like to continue with clothing that sparkles? (It matches your personality!)

    We will be thinking of you and prayig for you wile you are in Rwanda. I remember when that happened.

    Today is the 5 year anniversary of Hurricane Katria....another horrible event in our lifeimes.

    Know that we are thinking of you...and praying for you.

    Love,

    Mona and Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. nickname: freecycle
    to be said like popsicle.
    post about rwanda when you get a chance.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete