Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 2: Mukono



I love Ugandan food. LOVE. it's simple, it's portioned perfectly, and it's meant to sustain. it's interesting that here, we eat when we're hungry and we eat enough to get through the next period of the day. no one here overindulges simply because they like the food. eating is practical here.
Woke up to the sound of birds and monkeys screeching, singing, chirping, yelling and laughing in the trees. I have yet to actually see one of the evasive little monkeys though. A failed attempt at hiking yesterday left us covered in red mud and monkey-less, but hopefully tomorrow morning i'll actually get to trek up Monkey Hill behind campus and spot some buggers coming out for fruit at dawn.
Only one mosquito bite, no spider sightings (Fisher Farms you'll be happy to hear that!), and today we finally get to go into Mukono to explore. Started learning Lugandan today- the regional language, and successfully got myself through formal greetings with two Ugandan instructors who congratulated me with "Webalennyo" (good job, thank you).
Had a dance party last night with some Ugandan girls with infinitely better rap music than the US has to offer. score. Had lunch with Lazarus - who has promised me to take me to a club and wants me to introduce him to techno music. Got to go into town today on a "scavenger hunt" with some girls- and we soon learned how to bargain (don't worry Hannah I'm sending you something), where to find the best mango juice (cold), and how to leap across ditches to avoid traffic…which goes wherever it feels like. Got lost on my way back to school, but a nice old man on a bicycle pointed me in the right direction and as soon as I stepped through the gates back to school two small Ugandan girls started yelling at their mother who instructed them to just "go touch her!" by what I could gather of her hand gestures and hearing the distinct word "muzungo" (white person)…followed by the two girls running up to me saying "hello! Hello!" and just holding onto my arm as I walked for a while.


The kids in town all wave and stare and jump up and down yelling "Muzungo! Heya muzungo!" One man asked me how to buy pantyhose for his girlfriend and asked me how to make friends in the United States. I was with two other girls that informed me this was what he had actually asked…I heard "how to you get trained in the United States" (assuming he meant schooling) and answered "oh, it's very expensive." An hour later when my friends told me what he had actually asked I understood his confused expression. Stupid Muzungo: party of one.

7 comments:

  1. you will become their favorite muzungo.
    you need to figure out how to say saucy red head.
    seeing as that is truly what you are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alli -- I love your entry today!! And I do hope you see some monkeys soon! I love that the children are so excited to see you and to touch you. Open your arms wide and embrace them and flash them a beautiful smile - how loved they will feel! I was just on the Light Gives Heat website and read a couple of Ugandan blogs and I learned the word "Muzungo". Funny that you mentioned it today. And dad wants to know if that's your new car in the pic above!! hehe. Know I love you and miss you and am oh so proud of you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog today Alli! You need to learn how to say red headed attitude in Lugandan! It is very cool that the children want to touch you. I agree with your mom...open up your arms and give them a big hug and that million dollar mile of yours! You are so beautiful...I am sure they think you are an angel. Love, Mona..ps..drink lots of bottled water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alli-dear. Sounds like a great day! Little concerned about the "got lost on the way back". Remember, you've got no GPS. (Pay attention as you travel about). Muzungo! Make lots of friends - touch lots of young lives - make a difference in the lives - help them to change their world. Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this over and over again and couldn't help but get emotional about it each time.
    I am just so drawn to this and so absolutely thrilled that you are living it.
    And, hello, little African children running up to you and holding on to you?
    I have a feeling I am going to spend entirely too much time on this blog.
    P.S. Amy has the journal. Don't worry, we will leave room for you. I love you. Be safe. Keep writing.

    <3Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo hanny!!!!! :) love you too. i'm safe enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete